Kamis, 28 Juni 2018

Sponsored Links

Interstate-Guide: Interstate 4
src: www.interstate-guide.com

Interstate 4 ( I-4 ) is the Interstate Highway in the US state of Florida, run by the Florida Department of Transportation (FDOT). It stretches about 133 miles (214 km) along the generally west-east axis, I-4 completely along with State Road 400 ( SR 400 ). In the west, they start exchanging with I-275 in Tampa. They intersect with several major highways as they pass through Central Florida, including US 41 in Tampa; US 301 near Riverview; I-75 near Brandon; US 98 in Lakeland; US 192 at Celebration; Florida's Turnpike in Orlando; and US 17 and US 92 at some intersections. In the east, the I-4 ends at the junction with the I-95 in Daytona Beach, while the SR 400 continues about 4 miles (6.4 km) and ends at the intersection with US 1 in the Daytona Beach and South Daytona city lines.

Construction on I-4 began in 1958; the first segment was opened in 1959, and the entire highway was completed in 1965. The "I-4 Ultimate" project, which is currently underway, will oversee construction of the toll-highway toll road and a lot of rebuilding through 21 miles (34 km) a stretch of highway stretching from Kirkman Road (exit 75) in Orlando to SR 434 (exit 94) at Longwood. The project broke out in 2015, and is scheduled to be completed by 2021. Previously, the I-4 median between Tampa and Orlando was the planned route of the now-canceled high-speed rail line. From a political point of view, the "I-4 corridor" is a strategic area given the many hesitant voters in a large swing state.


Video Interstate 4



Route description

The I-4 maintains a diagonal route, northeast-southwest for much of its length, though it's signed east-west.

The western terminus of the 132-mile (212 km) highway is intersecting with Interstate 275 - known as the "Malfunction Junction" - near downtown Tampa and is the starting point for mile markers and outgoing numbers. Just east of Malfunction Junction, I-4 passes the north side of Tampa's Ybor City district, where a one-mile connector connects to Lee Roy Selmon Expressway (SR 618) and Port Tampa Bay. I-4 continues east past Florida State Fairgrounds towards a turbine exchange (not common in the US) with Interstate 75.

After passing near the eastern suburbs of Hillsborough County - including Brandon and Plant City - it enters Polk County, where I-4 crosses along the north side of Lakeland. The Polk Parkway (SR 570) forms a semi-loop through Lakeland's southern suburbs and returns to I-4 on the campus of Florida Polytechnic University, near Polk City; it does not serve as a shortcut for I-4 traffic. Right after the west junction with Polk Parkway, I-4 changed from east to northeast. Between SR 33 (at exit 38) and US $ 27, the I-4 passes through the haze-prone Green Hut, although the landscape beside the highway is mostly forest compared to swampy marshes. Ten variable message marks and dozens of cameras & amp; the vehicle detection system monitors this largely rural highway stretch as a result of some large and deadly piles caused by heavy fog.

On 57 miles, the I-4 enters Osceola County and soon after it cuts off the Orlando belt line: the incomplete Western Expressway (SR 429) on the west side and Central Florida GreeneWay (SR 417) that encircles the east side before returning to I-4 at Sanford. In addition, the exit to World Drive (signed only as "Disney World") runs north as a limited access road to Walt Disney World Resort and the Mickey Mouse shaped power pole can be seen at the southwest corner of the intersection. The exit of GreeneWay/World Drive (Exit 62) also marks a sudden shift from rural to suburban/urban landscape. The highway passes beside Celebration and Kissimmee on the east side and Walt Disney World Resort (not visible) on the west side.

For 40 miles (64 km), the I-4 passes through the Orlando metropolitan area, where the highway forms the main north-south artery. It enters Orange County, passes Walt Disney World, and by SeaWorld Orlando, & amp; Universal Orlando - and cuts off all major freeways in the area, including the Beachline Expressway (SR 528) and Florida's Turnpike. Main Orlando Orlando - International Drive - runs parallel and no more than 1.5Ã, mi (2 km) from I-4 between Kissimmee and Florida's Turnpike. Between Michigan St. and Kaley Ave. (about mile 81), I-4 turns north toward downtown Orlando and the northern suburbs. The 21-mile (34-km) I-4 section of west Kirkman Road to the east of SR 434 (miles 75-96) is currently undergoing a $ 2.3 billion reconstruction, expected to be completed by 2021, replacing most of the bridges, change the configuration of multiple intersections, and add two express expressways - named 4 Express - in each direction (details in section I-4 Ultimate).

After passing the western side of Downtown Orlando, I-4 continues through the northern suburbs - including Winter Park, Maitland, Altamonte Springs, and Sanford. Around 91 miles, I-4 enters Seminole County and soon after it shifts northeastward. Seminole Expressway (SR 417), after passing through the eastern side of the Orlando metropolitan area, has a northern terminal (exit 101B) at I-4 at Sanford. The intersection will also be connected to the Wekiva Parkway (SR 42 429), currently under construction, when completed in 2021, where the full belt point (SR 42 429 & SR 417; along with I-4 for 2 mi) Orlando metro area will be available.

North of Sanford, I-4 was taken by the St. Joseph River Veterans Memorial Johns to River St. Johns at the mouth of Lake Monroe. Along the bridge, I-4 enters Volusia County and passes Deltona & amp; DeLand. The northern segment of SR 44 is being widened from four to six lines. Completed in winter 2016-17, the entire length of I-4 will have at least 6 lanes (3 per direction). I-4 ends at the crossroads with I-95 in Daytona Beach. SR 400 continues east to Daytona Beach 4 million for US 1.

Services

I-4 has two pairs of rest areas, one near Polk City and the other near Longwood. At each location, there is a separate facility on the opposite side of the freeway that provides services for traffic in both directions. The rest areas all provide disabled facilities with toilets, picnic tables, drinking water, pet training grounds, nighttime lights outside, telephones, vending machines and nighttime security.

FDOT closed a pair of rest areas on the Daryl Carter Parkway bridge (70 miles) near Lake Buena Vista in early 1999 and replaced it with a retention basin to serve runoff from an additional line in each I-4 direction. Another resting place, without a bathroom, is on the east side near milepost 127 in Volusia County.

A pair of weigh stations including scales on the scales are at 12 miles between Tampa and Plant City. They opened in January 2009 to replace a pair in the west of SR 566 interchange at mile 19.

Maps Interstate 4



History

The I-4 was one of the first Interstate Highways to be built in Florida, with the opening of the first part between Plant City and Lakeland in 1959. In early 1960, the Howard Frankland Bridge opened to traffic, as well as segments of Hillsborough Crossroads Avenue/US $ 301 in Tampa to Plant City. Stretch from Lake Monroe to Lake Helen, including St. John's River Bridge The original Johns also opened during that period. Segments from Tampa to Orlando were completed in 1962. In the mid-1960s, several segments were complete, including Malfunction Junction in Tampa and part I-4 to Orlando. The original west end is set on Central Avenue (County Road 150) at St. Petersburg, though non-Interstate extension will continue south and west to Pasadena. The proposed I-4 then extended southwest to the present location of exit 20, with the tentative interim planned at US 19 and 13 South Avenue, and a continuation to the Sunshine Skyway also designated as part of Interstate 4. Construction stalled at 9th Street North (CR 803) for several years.

The entire Interstate Highway was completed in the late 1960s; However, the western end was cut into Malfunction Junction in 1971 when I-75 extended over the Frankland Bridge. Finally, the stretching was again redesigned to become part of I-275.

In maps and maps dating the 1950s, 1960s, and 1970s, Tampa-St. Section Petersburg I-4/I-275 is marked as Tampa Expressway. The Orlando segment is marked as the Orlando Expressway. Both names have faded off the map.

Although many post-1970 exchanges along I-4 were built before the recent widening project, they were designed with I-4 expansions in mind. In other words, there is enough space available to extend I-4 to 10 paths without extensively modifying the arrangement. Some of these exchanges include the I-75 pile (built in the 1980s) and several exchanges serving Walt Disney World Resort (built in the late 1980s and early 1990s).

In 2002, I-4, along with most of the Florida interstates, switched from sequential exit numbering systems to outbound-based outbound numbering systems.

Part I-4 between Daytona Beach and Orlando called "dead zone" is rumored to be haunted. In 2010, ECFRPC used GIS technology to conduct analysis to determine whether the identified zones had an increased mortality rate associated with crashes. The analysis comparing this section I-4 with some other harmful I-4 parts found that while the area of ​​the death zone did not have the highest accident or death rate, it identified that the percentage of deaths to accidents was significantly higher in this regard. location.

The Median I-4 between Tampa and Orlando is scheduled to be used for the Florida High Speed ​​Train line between the cities. As a result of the state constitutional amendment to build a high-speed rail system between the 5 largest cities passed by voters in 2000, the construction project on I-4 includes a wide median to accommodate high-speed rail lines. The high-speed rail project was canceled in 2004, but revived again in 2009. In 2010, the federal government gave Florida over $ 2 billion - almost all of its projected construction costs - to build lines, by working on projects to start in the year 2011 and completed in 2014. However, Governor Rick Scott's rejection of funding ended the project.

On January 9, 2008, 70 vehicles were involved in a massive collision at I-4 near Polk City. The pileup was caused by an unexpectedly heavy morning mist mixed with the scheduled environmental burning and approved by the Florida Wildlife Commission. The fog floated on I-4, mixed with smoke, reducing visibility to near zero. Four people were killed, and 38 were injured. Part I-4 is not reopened until the next day, January 10th.

Tampa area

The junction I-4/I-275 (Malfunction Junction) was rebuilt from 2002 to 2007, and I-4 has been expanded from four to six lines (with eight paths in a particular segment). Finally, I-4 will be widened again to a total of at least ten paths (five in each direction). Studies for this project are under way and construction will begin around the 2010s. Project completion should be around 2020.

Eastbound I-4 shifted in a new and permanent direction between Malfunction Junction and 50th Street on August 8, 2006. This new alignment includes the ramp right in/out ramp at the 22nd intersection of St/21st St (Previous left-path configurations lead to hazardous conditions for commuters since it opened in 2005). On August 11, 2006, the fourth line opened east of I-4 between the city center intersection and 50th Street (led by the newly opened third line on I-4 road to the east from north I-275). And on August 18, a new western leveling, just west of 50th Street, opened. Newly opened paths will increase flow across all intersections. The 50th Street overpass, however, will not be complete until late 2007. Also, the exit I-4 to the east towards Columbus Drive/50th Street is located on the left of the highway (compared to his former right hand side exit). This exit shift came into effect in spring 2006 and is part of the new permanent interstate configuration.

In Tampa, the exit to 40th Street (SR 569), exit 2, was closed and destroyed in late 2005 due to ongoing I-4 reconstruction and to accommodate proposed connector highway with Lee Roy Selmon Express Line.

The exchange with what I-75 today was built in the early 1980s.

Orlando Area

As Orlando grew in the 1970s and 1980s, traffic became a growing concern, especially after the construction of the original intersection with the East-West Expressway in 1973, which proved to be a major obstacle. The term "street hostage" was created in the 1980s to describe people trapped in a long journey to and from Orlando on I-4.

In the early 1990s, several intersections near Kissimmee were built or upgraded to accommodate increased traffic to and from Walt Disney World. However, the main I-4 line is not widened in the process. Around the same time, SR 417 expanded to I-4. Improvements to the 192 US junction were completed in 2007.

St. Veterans Memorial Bridge Johns, a two-lane replacement, six lanes to the original four-lane bridge over the St. Johns northeast of Orlando, completed in 2004.

During the early 2000s, a chain of expressways was being planned in the Orlando area as a traffic jam assistance technique for busy peak hours. The name for them is Xpress 400, numbered after setting the country road for I-4. The expressway is scheduled to be extended from Universal Orlando, east to SR 434 in Longwood, and tolls must be collected electronically via transponders such as SunPass and the Orlando-Orange County Expressway Authority's E-Pass, at a price depending on the congestion of the eight major lanes. However, the project was effectively banned by the passage of the SAFETEA-LU Federal transport bill in 2005, introduced by US Representative John Mica. The plans for the pulsed express line are now moving forward as part of the $ 2.3 billion Ultimate I-4 project (see "I-4 Ultimate" section below).

A temporary remedy for exchange in SR 408 was completed by the end of 2008. The east exit to Robinson Street (SR 526) was closed permanently on 25 April 2006, to allow the construction of a new east onramp of SR 408. The western path offramps to Gore Street was permanently closed on the same project on November 2, 2008.

The new bridge from I-4 west to John Young Parkway (County Road 423, CRÃ, 423) opened on the morning of 27 April 2006.

Interstate-Guide: Interstate 4
src: www.interstate-guide.com


Future

I-4 Ultimate

The $ 2.3 billion project - dubbed I Ultimate - reconstructs a 21-mile (34 km) I-4 stretch to Orlando from SR 435 (exit 75) east to SR 434 ( exit 94). The most noticeable change is the addition of four express -way expressway variables along this section, called 4 Express . The express line will vary in an effort to maintain an average speed of 50 miles per hour (80 km/h). In addition, the common usage path will be rebuilt, the 15 main interchanges will be reconfigured, 53 new bridges will be added, and 75 bridges will be replaced. Two pedestrian bridges will be built on the highway near Kirkman Road and Maitland Boulevard. The project will also reduce the bend radius and increase the line of sight along the famous Fairbanks Curve south of Fairbanks Avenue, which is the most accident-prone part of I-4.

FDOT proposed the addition of the separated HOV path to I-4 via the Orlando metro area in the 1990s, possibly financed by tolls, but proposals for the expressway (including the restored toll lanes and HOT lanes) were blocked by politics for 15 years front. In 2012, the legislative restriction on the I-4 toll road, which has lasted for seven years, is over and FDOT begins to ask private companies to build and help finance projects in public-private partnerships. In February 2013, state and governor legislatures granted approval for FDOT to continue public-private partnerships in section I-4 in February 2013 and the following year, FDOT selected I-4 Mobility Partners to design, build, finance, maintain and operate projects for 40 years. FDOT and I-4 Mobility Partners achieve near commercial and financial and public-private partnership agreement concessions implemented in September 2014. The final design stage commences in October 2014. On February 1, 2015, FDOT transferred the project to I-4 Mobility Partners and on February 18, transport officials and governors held a groundbreaking ceremony for the project in Maitland. I-4 Mobility Partners has a March 2021 deadline to complete the project.

Additional express paths

The extension of the 4 Expressway lanes both southwest and northeast of the I-4 Ultimate project are being considered. In 2013, FDOT initiated a reevaluation study to reevaluate the previous feasibility study, made between 1998 and 2005, in which the addition of the HOV expressway or expressway expressway is considered. The extension covers about 40 miles (64 km) from I-4 via the Orlando metro area. Southwest I-4 Ultimate, this study examines extensions through Osceola County to US $ 27 in Polk County. Northeast of I-4 Ultimate, this study examined the extension through Seminole County to SR 472 in Volusia County. The re-evaluation is expected to be completed by July 2015.

The Expressway Express is also considered for I-4 in the Tampa Bay area. In January 2015, FDOT launched its master plan for the expressway expressway system - dubbed Tampa Bay Express (TBX) - on I-4, I-75 and I-275 and the general start of the meeting for community feedback. At I-4, this line will extend about 26 miles (42 km) from I-275 to the west of the Polk Parkway (SR 570). At the intersection with I-275, the alignment of the initial concept calls for a direct connection between the expressway expressway of both highways. An express bus line for remote regional bus services was studied for inclusion in the plan. Corridor I-4 was considered in the bus lane study, but the resulting proposal only included installation on I-275 and I-75

More projects

Connection with two new toll roads is planned. The Wekiva Parkway - 25-mile (40 km) segment SR 429 - will connect to SR 417 on the I-4 interchange at Sanford. When completed in 2022, it will complete a beltway around Orlando, although the southern end of SR 429 and SR 417 are not connected and separated by a 3.4 mile (5.5 km) drive along I-4. The Central Polk Parkway is a planned toll on a toll in East County Polk that will connect I-4 near Davenport with Polk Parkway near Bartow; is currently in the design phase, but funding for road acquisitions from the initial segment is not planned until 2019/20 fiscal year. In addition, FDOT is conducting a feasibility study for a 5-11.5 mile (8.0-18.5 km) connection between I-4 and Poinciana Parkway - a short toll road under construction between US $ 17/US $ 92 and the Poinciana community.

The last four-lane segment I-4, from SR 44 to I-95, is widened to six lines. Completed in winter 2016-17, the entire highway is at least six wide lanes.

In 2014, the Florida Department of Transport started a study on the feasibility of extending the SunRail commuter line to Daytona Beach, primarily focusing on the use of median I-4. The ongoing widening project from SR 44 to I-95 retains a median wide enough to accommodate future rail lines.

Driving I-4 to Orlando - clipzui.com
src: i.ytimg.com


Exit list


Interstate-Guide: Interstate 4
src: www.interstate-guide.com


State Road 400

The State Road 400 is an unmarked highway while running alongside I-4 of their joint west terminal at I-275 in Tampa via the eastern terminal of I- 4 on I-95 in Daytona Beach. The SR 400 is called Belville Road beyond that point and continues for another four miles (6.4 km) to its own eastern terminal at the intersection with US 1 on the city line between Daytona Beach and South Daytona. Part of the non-concurrent SR 400 is classified as a "scenic path" in Daytona Beach.

Large intersections
The whole route is in Volusia County.

I-4 Ultimate's next $2 billion phase - Orlando Business Journal
src: media.bizj.us


In politics

In the 2004 US presidential election, the I-4 corridor, a term commonly used to refer to the district where Interstate 4 goes through and a significant population growth site, is the focus of political activity within the Florida swing state. Communities along I-4 corridors are perceived by both major political parties as having a proportion of voters who have not yet decided higher than the more Republican or Democrat-leaning part of the state. It played a similar key role in the 2008 US presidential election, but when the corridor had chosen George W. Bush in 2004, which helped Bush win the country, in 2008 it swung behind Democratic candidate Barack Obama, helping Obama win Florida.

The I-4 corridors previously selected winners across the state from 1996 to 2012. However, in the 2016 election, Donald Trump's Republic held the country, and won the presidency without winning the territory. Republicans brought the region three times while the Democrats took the region four times in the previous seven presidential elections. Republicans George HW Bush and George W. Bush won more votes than other candidates in 1992, 2000 and 2004, while Democrat Bill Clinton, Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton captured the total votes in the region in the 1996 election, 2008 , 2012, and 2016.

Interstate-Guide: Interstate 4
src: www.interstate-guide.com


See also

  • Hurricane Charley, sometimes referred to as "I-4 Hurricane"

Interstate 4 - AARoads - Florida
src: www.aaroads.com


References


Are you brave enough to drive Florida's I-4, AKA
src: assets2.roadtrippers.com


External links

The FDOT website on Interstate 4:

  • Tampa Bay Interstate - current, future and past projects (since 1999) on I-4
  • Central Florida Roads - current and future projects on I-4 in Osceola, Orange, Seminole and Volusia districts

FDOT web site about project and special proposal I-4:

  • I-4 Ultimate - project info on I-4 Ultimate in the Orlando area
  • I-4 Beyond the Ultimate - information on the proposed express extension to the southwest of the I-4 Ultimate project via Osceola and Polk districts.
  • Tampa Bay Express - information on the proposed express path on Interstate 4, 75 & amp; 275 in the Tampa Bay area.
  • I-4 Poinciana Parkway Connector - information on feasibility studies conducted for connections between I-4 and Poinciana Parkway

Source of the article : Wikipedia

Comments
0 Comments